Publisher: Garnet Education
Upper Intermediate to Proficiency
Suitable for classroom use
The best-selling English for Academic Study (EAS) series provides students with a clear and efficient path to academic competency and success. Students are no longer simply working through college-level materials; they are consciously developing skills and strategies that can transfer out of the EAP classroom into their future studies, becoming capable and autonomous learners.
English for Academic Study: Listening: the focus for each unit is not the theme of the lectures, but a listening skill (such as note-taking or understanding digressions) that is crucial for understanding any lecture.
- an Audio CD included with Course Book
- Video material of academic lectures to expose students to the real language of lectures
- Varied lecture styles and topics to meet the needs of students in a range of academic fields
- Scaffolded approach to increase confidence and learner independence
- Colourful and attractive layout
- The teacher’s book includes keys to the tasks, as well as suggestions for using the sources and tasks, depending on the needs and levels of the students involved.
- Listening and lectures
- Introductions to lectures
- Identifying key ideas in lectures
- Introducing new terminology
- What lecturers do in lectures
“The material on the DVD was so enjoyable that we continued watching it after we’d finished reviewing the book.”
– iT’s Magazines, Spring 2008
“The different subject areas of the lectures should interest a large number of students, and the tasks and scaffolding will help them to cope with lectures in their own field of study.”
– Derek Porter, University of Canterbury